I know you are busy with the holidays… so this will be brief. I want to share some ideas that could support us all in making it through the family/friend gatherings in this season. The ideas are from the Danish and I love them especially because I have Danish blood in my cells. As you know, I have an identical twin sister (we were triplets at birth) and the only other multiple birth relatives were triplets from Denmark long, long ago! (Go to the original article.) A dear friend and coaching colleague shared this with me (Prerna who lives in Hungry).
The rules that can make hygge work with your friends and family are as follows:
- Come as you are: trust and be trusted that we desire connection, not to prove something.
- Forget the controversy: Especially in this political season (US and maybe others), leave the divisive or controversial topics out of your conversation.
- Think of yourself as a team member: Offer your help and support whenever and wherever… oh, and except “no” as an answer as well.
- See hygge as a shelter from the outside: No matter the group, this is not time for networking, social climbing and the like. This is a sacred place with no fear of judgment.
- Remember it is time limited: Suggest to family members and close friends that this is “just for tonight”. It is much easier to agree to these rules for “just a bit of time”. Maybe someday it can be for always… we can dream can’t we???!!
Wishing you peace and joy for this holiday season and for 2016 as well!!
I would love for you to share your thoughts on staying centered in stressful times. Email me: CHFcoach@me.com